One Fly Competition
The NSFFC One Fly competition is held annually and this year will be held at Tranquil Rises at Flowerdale and is a fantastic day on the clubs calendar. In past years fish over 9lb have caught on this trip.
- 8am leave NSFFC.
- 8.30am, morning tea, drawing of flies and briefing.
- 09.00am fishing commences.
- 12.15-1.15pm, lunch
- 1.15-3.30pm, fishing.
- 3.30-4.00pm, afternoon tea, results & presentation.
Tranquil Rises is a series of stocked dams holding Brown, Rainbow and Golden Trout, Golden Perch (Yellow Belly) and Murray Cod, check out their Facebook page.
Please ensure you let me know by phone or text on 0400883022, contact one of the club committee or put your name up on the board in the club room so we don't get caught short with the BBQ lunch.
To get to Tranquil Rises, make your way to Whittlesea, then on to Hazeldene.
From Hazeldene stay on the Whittlesea Yea Rd and head towards Flowerdale, just before the Flowerdale Pub keep an eye out for Collins Rd on the right.
Follow Collins Rd for about 500m, Tranquil Rises is the second property on the left, there is a trout on the fence at the gate.
There is a main Cabin just above the big dam where weíll meet, go over the dayís event and break for a BBQ lunch.
Looking forward to seeing you there, cheers, John Smith.
Rules of the Competition
The rules of the competition can be found in the By Laws and Protocols of NSFFC and are as follows;
- Each participant to bring a fly of choice for the competition (wet fly only).
- All flies are allocated a number and a draw is held.
- Participants are in a team of two.
- Teams are drawn by a random ballot.
- Participants get the fly corresponding to the number they draw.
- The fly you draw is the only to be used for the competition.
- Repair of flies by re-tying is prohibited.
- Hooks may be sharpened at any time.
- Should you loose the fly your drew in the ballot you may continue to fish, but any fish caught on any fly other than the initial fly drawn will not count for the comp.
- Only trout count for the competition.
- Most Fish Caught.
- Heaviest Fish.
- Winning Fly (to the person who tied/provided the fly that was used to catch the most fish).
- TBC however should be around $30 per head which includes BBQ lunch and morning/afternoon tea at GVFFC.
Some tips for the day
Some winning flys in past years have been wets/smaller streamers/larger nymphs.
Don't go light on the leader and tippet, 8lb is probably as light as I'd go. Remember you need to land the fish quickly and release it in good condition, and there are some trophy size fish in the ponds at Tranquil Rises
Don't hog the water, if you get a fish or two from one spot pls consider others and move on, we're there to enjoy the day and enjoy each others company and successes.
There'll be some refreshments available for purchase at lunch/afternoon tea & presentation. Beer & Wine $2.50.
I look forward to seeing you there on the day.